Since the headliner was down for the insulation, we tackled the ceiling fan install next. We chose the Ventline VP-543 12V Smoke Van Roof Air Vent because I liked the idea of having a round fan for aerodynamics, instead of a flat edge. It also fit quite nicely between the roof braces in the rear of our Chevrolet Astro. The Fantastic fan is also nice, but I think it's overkill for the size of the Astro.
The idea of cutting a big hole in the roof was a little daunting, the easiest way to do it I found, was to stop over-thinking and just get stuck in.
More light is better, right?
Well we wanted some more light, deer have a nasty habit of popping out of nowhere and onto the road and we'd like to see them before they're directly in front of us. So bring on the Hella 500 fog lights. They can be run along with the regular headlights and therefore make it easier for us to see, especially the sides of the road.
On top of the insulation we laid down OSB flooring. We used the old carpet as a template, cut it from 2, 4x8 sheets. In hindsight we should have cut them width ways, we used a full sheet on one side and then cut a much narrower slither, roughly 12 inches wide to run down the driver side. As I say, I'm not happy with how it turned out due to the seat base cutouts for the rear seat being too close to the seam and therefore weak. If we ever re-do the floor, I'll change this.