Part of my daily routine includes searching craigslist for interesting pieces of furniture. This lovely settee popped up for a bargain $75! It was pretty badly stained and the frame was weak, but I knew it could be restored. I can just see it recovered in a soft gray. It is going to be the perfect sofa for my future study room (henceforth called "the library").
The first step in restoring the settee was stripping it down to the frame. Furniture is surprisingly filthy under the exterior fabric, so I completed this step in the basement. Along with all of the dirt, I found an assortment of items including the ones in the picture. I was pleased to find that the springs and most of the stuffing are salvageable. That will save some money. The support slats were rotting and cracked, so they had to be removed. I don't have a saw in Chicago, so cutting new slats will have to wait. The obscene number of nails and nail holes tells me that this has been reupholstered before. I spent a few hours just pulling out nails. I'll have to fill them with wood filler so that the staples will have something to grab onto. I'm pretty excited to start sanding this puppy tomorrow!